I love notebooks, and today I’ll show you How to Cover a Book with Fabric. These DIY altered notebooks make a great home made gift idea for a teacher, friend or co-worker.
I used flowers today on my DIY Altered Notebooks, but really you could use anything of your choice to make these uniquely yours. This is an easy to do Notebook Cover Idea that looks super high end and fancy!
DIY Altered Notebooks: Supplies needed:
A composition notebook, a patterned paper with bold flowers, a label sheet, Some acrylic paint, spray adhesive, gloss medium, scissors, and a brush.
How to cover a book with fabric and glue
1. I use spray adhesive to stick the fabric down. This spray adhesive dries super quick and is easy to use. Cutting with a pinking shear along one end of the fabric makes the fabric look prettier along the spine.
2. Now is the fun part, where we get to decorate the front. I chose to use flowers and a tiny label. Fussy cut the flowers out of some patterned paper using a Micro tip scissors. You could use stickers here instead or you could cut some petals and make your own flowers too.
3. Stick the cut out flowers, I used a gloss medium/varnish. This goes on clear and sticks beautifully. Lightly paint the gloss on top of the flowers too.
4. Finally, trim off the fabric overhang along the notebook edges using a sharp pair of scissors like the Amplify RazorEdge Shears. It has a really long blade that cuts neat straight lines.
5. Decorate the book a little more, by adding some pretty buttons.
DIY Altered Notebooks:
Ta da! I love how these DIY Altered Notebooks turned out. This is my easy way how to cover a book with fabric! They look so transformed, right? These books would make the perfect handmade teacher’s gift.
More Notebook Cover Ideas:
- Donut Craft Notebook Party
- Decorate Notebooks with Dollar Tree Stickers!
- DIY Emoji Notebook Video Tutorial
- Recycled Cereal Box Notebooks
- Cute DIY Valentine Notebook Tutorial 2 ways
Hi I’m Smitha! I live in Minnesota with my husband and two daughters. You’ll always find me painting florals in my sketchbook. And I love the sheer joy of making something with just my hands! But my bigger love is capturing it all on camera Read more.
Thanks for stopping by today! If you learnt something from this tutorial, do share this post with a friend or on social media! Tag me @smithakatti #smithakatti I’d love to see what you create!