Hello friends! We all love our markers and today I’ll show you how you can make the most inexpensive DIY Marker Organizer by reusing an old cardboard box!
Make sure to check out all of my Recycled craft ideas!
This post contains affiliate links and when you purchase an item via these links, I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
DIY MARKER ORGANIZER Video
An in-depth step by step Video Tutorial showing you my DIY Marker Organizer process
DIY MARKER ORGANIZER TUTORIAL
There is something so so satisfying about getting your hand into the glue and tearing up bits of paper
- Make your cardboard frame: Using a sharp pair of scissors + box cutters, cut into your cardboard box to make it the size you want. Cut equal-sized pieces for the shelves and hold them temporarily in place with the paper masking tape.
- Make your Paste (Optional): I used all-purpose flour to make a paper mache paste at home. This is a great way to extend your supplies- The recipe is 2tbsp all-purpose flour + 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil while stirring and let cool.
- Tear up your paper: Find old magazines and newspapers, and tear it into small pieces. These pieces will be layered to reinforce and strengthen the storage unit.
- Soak your paper in the glue and layer: Dip your paper in the glue, let it soak for a few minutes, and then pick up each piece individually and layer it onto the cardboard box. This will need to dry thoroughly before we add another layer of paper.
- Let it dry in between layers: Cover the entire cardboard with layers of paper. As it dries, you will see the storage unit hardens and strengthens. The dried glue adds structure to the box and the shelves will stay in place neatly.
- Finish it with a coat of sealer: You can at this time leave it as is, or choose to add a layer of acrylic white paint on top. Your choice. I like the look of the print and type and am choosing to leave it as is here.
- After a week of drying, I would recommend applying a layer of sealer all over your DIY Marker Organizer to prevent mold or warping.
There are so many beautiful crafts you can make with things we would normally trash or recycle. Check out this post for more ideas on how to reuse your cardboard boxes for your home.
- An old cardboard box
- Newspaper or old magazines
- Homemade paste or white glue
- Scissors- I’m using Fiskars Amplify + Box Cutters (or Exacto knife)
- A big bowl to mix the glue
- Paper masking tape
- A coat of varnish or sealer as a protective layer.
- Tear your paper – do not use a scissor to cut them into pieces. Those feathered edges glue nicely in place.
- Make sure to tie up your hair: before you begin, because once you start the glue will get everywhere even in your hair!
- Grab an old paintbrush to help you reach those corners in the back easily. Make sure to wash it right away!
- Use a paper masking tape– not cellophane tape or scotch tape while building your diy marker organizer.
How do you store markers?
Dual ended brush pens are best stored horizontally, away from sunlight and in rainbow order to make you smile every time you look at them.
5 MORE MARKER ORGANIZERS I love
Now if you are looking to buy a Marker Organizer that meets all of your needs, I have a few that I would highly recommend.
1. Rollup Marker Case:
This Rollup Marker Case is so handy! You can buy a similar one here. I love that I can see all of my marker colors at a glance and it’s perfect to carry along when you are traveling!
2. Zippered Marker Storage Case:
If you are looking to organize more than 10 markers, this zippered case is a neat option. It includes 54 elastic loops that can hold markers, pens, and pencils. Also has a zippered mesh pouch to hold accessories. Get a closer look this case in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us7czkvaAMI&t=4s
3. Desktop Marker Organizer
I love having all of my pens out in rainbow order on my desk for easy access. A Desktop Marker Organizer will make sure your pens are visible, easy to grab and inspiring to work with.
This new sleek design easily fits 108 pens and adds such a clean design factor to pen storage.
4. Accordian Marker Case
Try this Accordian Case that can be unfolded for desk use or add the lid with carrying handle that snaps on top! Holds 108 markers.
5. How do you organize pens in a drawer?
These clear bins are great to organize your pens or markers in a drawer! And yes, they fit the Brush pens too!
I totally love how my DIY Marker Organizer turned out! It’s a little wonky, but perfectly imperfect. My kids also helped out with the paper gluing so it was time well spent giggling and making memories.
All of the other organizers are great options. I love having my markers easily accessible and on display in rainbow order.
click here to Pin this tutorial, thank you!
ALSO READ: Make it with kids: Colorful Paper mache bowls
Thank you for being here today and spending some creative time with my friends! I’m so thankful for your kind words and support.
If you recreate this tutorial and share it on social media don’t forget to tag me! @smithakatti #smithakatti
Wouldn’t a shoe box be just as good?
you could use a shoe box if it feels strong and stands upright. The markers are pretty heavy, so the box needs to be sturdy