Hello friends! Today I’m lettering on wood, and will show you how easily you can make a DIY Lettered Sign at home!
It’s Christmas Craft time, the perfect time to make a DIY hand lettered sign by simply using a pen and writing on wood signs.
disclaimer: affiliate links have been used. Which means that if you make a purchase I might earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Supplies you will need to make this Lettered Sign:
- WOODEN PLANK OR SIGN: A ready to hang sign and here are a few great choices.
- TRANSFER PAPER: A transfer paper makes transferring the design onto the wood a breeze. The one I use in the video is this graphite-based one, so any wrong marks are easily erasable!
- OIL-BASED MARKER: An oil-based marker- like my favorite MONO Twin Permanent Marker will work for this purpose. You could also paint instead of write- the choice is up to you.
- MULTI-PURPOSE SEALER: If your piece is going to end up outdoors, you should add a protective sealant. Use this water-based multi-purpose sealer, it has no odor + you can easily wash off the paintbrush.
- AN ANGLED PAINTBRUSH: Any paintbrush will work to apply your sealer, but I like to use an angled one– it’s easier to work with and feather.
Lettering on Wood Video Tutorial:
Easy Lettered Sign Tutorial:
1. Print out your quote: I typed this in Word and printed using my computer. Layer your print out onto a transfer paper and place atop the wooden sign. Carefully trace the words.
2. Color in your words: Use an oil based marker or paint them in if you choose to. And your Lettered Sign is ready!
Tips and Tricks:
- If you get any transfer paper stains onto your wood, you can easily erase them with the MONO sand eraser. If you painted your wood, then instead of erasing the marks, just repaint over them.
- This technique is great for bold letters and faux calligraphy as well. You can easily free hand your design onto the wood as well too!
- While tracing over the design, use some painter’s tape or washi tape to hold everything in place and prevent any shifting.
- A DIY hand lettered sign can easily be further customized with photographs, felt flowers or any other kind of embellishments.
Creative Christmas Challenge Blog hop
Today I am so excited and thankful to be a part of the #CreativeChristmas Challenge hosted by Remodelaholic. There is a YouTube blog hop (this is the first time I am participating in one!) and you can start watching all the videos in the video box below.
And here is the list of ALL of the Blog hop participants. There are a whopping 26+ projects to inspire you this weekend!
DIY Christmas Trees and Ornaments
Wintry Silver Dollar Store Christmas Tree Decor | Remodelaholic
Marbled Christmas Ornaments | Doodlecraft
Scrap Wood Inlay Ornaments | The Ugly Duckling House
Wood burned Wood Slice Ornaments | Sisters What
Flocked Pine Cones | Practical and Pretty
Concrete Christmas Ornaments | The Palette Muse
Wood Slice Deer Ornaments | Our Crafty Mom
Unicorn Inspired Christmas Tree | The DIY Mommy
Driftwood Reindeer Ornaments | Sustain My Craft Habit
DIY Christmas Gifts and Decor
Christmas Pine Hoop Wreath | This Mama’s Dance
Gingerbread Man Candles | Nourish and Nestle
Wire and Glass Chandelier | Home with Cupcakes and Crinoline
Christmas Scroll Wall Art | Grace In My Space
Lighted Wood Trees | Frazzled Joy
Crocheted Christmas Hat | Luz Patterns
Christmas Card Photo Display| Hertoolbelt
JOY Porch Sign | Ginger Snap Crafts
Wood and Burlap Christmas Sign | Leap of Faith Crafting
Wood Block Snowman | Anika’s DIY Life
Holiday Candle Wrap | Dragonfly & Lily Pads
Christmas Pom Pom Pillow | Small Home Soul
DIY Hand Lettered Sign | Smiling Colors <——You are here