Can you paint on felt? Yes, you can absolutely use acrylic paint on felt and today I’m sharing two methods that ensure your Lettering on Felt design looks beautiful.
It’s Holiday crafting time and today I created a fun pillow that is reversible, it says JOY on one side and THANKFUL on the other side. Hand Lettering on felt is a little different than lettering on paper, but the results are that much more amazing!!
Can you Paint on Felt?
METHOD 1: USING THE NOZZLE: You can also nozzle of the gold dimensional paint bottle while lettering on felt. Hold the bottle like a pen, squeeze evenly to write or paint your designs.
METHOD 2: USING A PAINT BRUSH: While lettering on felt you should use fabric paint. Here I used the same gold dimensional paint but with a No 2 round paint brush instead of the bottle nozzle. I kept it simple with a basic capital font style.
It is important to use a dry brush to paint on felt. Use VERY little water to move the paint
Lettering on Felt YouTube Video:
disclaimer: affiliate links have been used. Which means that if you make a purchase I might earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Tips and Tricks for using acrylic paint on felt:
- You can easily substitute the felt in this project with fabric. Use the same fabric glue to make the pillow!
- Before hand lettering on felt, it’s a great idea to think of what you want to draw and maybe make a rough pencil sketch on the side.
- While using such dimensional paints, always squeeze the nozzle onto a scrap piece of paper first, to remove any air and to figure out how much pressure the bottle needs for the paint to come out easily. Practice before you take your paint bottle to your work.
- I originally had planned to make a bigger pillow, but by mistake ordered these 12 by 8 inch felt sheets thinking it was 12 by 18 inches in size. When it arrived, I kinda liked the small size, and this small sized pillow reminded of something that you would find in the Target dollar spot.
MORE FELT TUTORIALS:
- How To Get Felt To Stick Together!
- How To Make Felt Coasters
- Die Cutting Felt Tutorial
- Felt Strawberry Coasters Tutorial
- DIY Felt Wreath for Autumn
- DIY Felt Cards: Cute Lion + Floral Idea
- Even More Felt Tutorials For You To Try!
Follow my Hand Lettering Board on Pinterest
Did you find this Can you paint on felt tutorial helpful? What are some of your favorite words for lettering on felt? Have you tried any other tutorial here on Smiling Colors? Leave a comment below and let’s chat!
Hi I’m Smitha! I live in Minnesota with my husband and two daughters. You’ll always find me painting florals in my sketchbook. And I love the sheer joy of making something with just my hands! But my bigger love is capturing it all on camera Read more.
Thanks for stopping by today! If you learnt something from this tutorial, do share this post with a friend or on social media! Tag me @smithakatti #smithakatti I’d love to see what you create!