Yes, you can paint on felt fabric! I’m sharing two methods that ensure your Lettering on Felt design looks beautiful.
It’s Holiday crafting time and today I created a fun pillow that is reversible, it says JOY on one side and THANKFUL on the other side. Hand Lettering on felt is a little different than lettering on paper, but the results are that much more amazing!!
Can you Paint on Felt?
METHOD 1: USING THE NOZZLE: You can also nozzle of the gold dimensional paint bottle while lettering on felt. Hold the bottle like a pen, squeeze evenly to write or paint your designs.
The gold dimensional paint dries beautifully and the soft shimmer of the gold on brown makes me happy. I filled the pillow with poly fil and stuffed it till it felt full.
METHOD 2: USING A PAINT BRUSH: While lettering on felt you should use fabric paint. Here I used the same gold dimensional paint but with a No 2 round paint brush instead of the bottle nozzle. I kept it simple with a basic capital font style.
It is important to use a dry brush to paint on felt. Use VERY little water to move the paint
Lettering on Felt YouTube Video:
Learn How hand letter on felt using fabric paint along with me. Watch the video by clicking on the video box below or head over to to my YouTube channel. Enjoy!
disclaimer: affiliate links have been used. Which means that if you make a purchase I might earn a small commission at no extra charge to you.
Tips and Tricks:
- You can easily substitute the felt in this project with fabric. Use the same fabric glue to make the pillow!
- Before hand lettering on felt, it’s a great idea to think of what you want to draw and maybe make a rough pencil sketch on the side.
- While using such dimensional paints, always squeeze the nozzle onto a scrap piece of paper first, to remove any air and to figure out how much pressure the bottle needs for the paint to come out easily. Practice before you take your paint bottle to your work.
- I originally had planned to make a bigger pillow, but by mistake ordered these 12 by 8 inch felt sheets thinking it was 12 by 18 inches in size. When it arrived, I kinda liked the small size, and this small sized pillow reminded of something that you would find in the Target dollar spot.
MORE FELT TUTORIALS:
- How To Get Felt To Stick Together!
- How To Make Felt Coasters
- Die Cutting Felt Tutorial
- Felt Strawberry Coasters Tutorial
- DIY Felt Wreath for Autumn
- DIY Felt Cards: Cute Lion + Floral Idea
- Even More Felt Tutorials For You To Try!
I used these Felt Sheets, Fabric Glue, Fabric paint in gold, a round paintbrush and some pillow stuffing like Poly-Fil
Follow my Hand Lettering Board on Pinterest
Pin this tutorial by clicking here
Did you find this Can you paint on felt tutorial helpful? What are some of your favorite words for lettering on felt? Have you tried any other tutorial here on Smiling Colors? Leave a comment below and let’s chat!
Hi I’m Smitha! I live in Minnesota with my husband and two daughters. You’ll always find me painting florals in my sketchbook. And I love the sheer joy of making something with just my hands! But my bigger love is capturing it all on camera Read more.
Thanks for stopping by today! If you learnt something from this tutorial, do share this post with a friend or on social media! Tag me @smithakatti #smithakatti I’d love to see what you create!
What a fun idea! I love that this project is no sew! I can work with glue! Also, I love how you staged your finished project photos.:)
Thanks Dana! Staging is not my strongest point so I appreciate any love 🙂
Such a cute idea and I love the colors!
Thanks so much for sharing!
Keys to Inspiration
Cute pillows! As someone without a vinyl machine, these are up my crafty aisle. Visiting from Handmade Holidays.
Clever idea to have a 2 sided pillow.
So pretty to decorate your home.
Such a cute pillow, I love the trend of all the reversible decor projects.
The small rectangle pillows are delightful to use around the house as decorations for even special family/friends celebrations/events. Thank you for sharing your interesting ideas and how to accomplish them. jacqui
I love puff paint! Well, that’s what we called it growing up 🙂 That gold color looks great against the felt you chose!
It’s puff paint alright! Gold makes me happy
Love this project!
Wow!! What a great idea!! Love the dimensional paints! Thank you for sharing!
I’m glad you liked the tutorial Jen!
love this idea! something I can do with my 10 year old niece who always wants to craft with me.
That sounds like so much fun!
Interesting gift idea! I will do some pillows for my relatives. Merry Christmas!
That is a great idea! Happy crafting!