Hello friends! Today I am sharing with you all my favorite Watercolor Supplies that I have used over the past few years and enjoyed! These are all great Watercolor Supplies for beginners! Sometimes having the right tools just helps simplify and improve your art.
On my blog here you will find lots of Easy Watercoloring Ideas to explore like this Watercolor Salt Technique or these Watercolor Flowers Easy! I would recommend that you read this post to begin your watercolor painting journey.
Watercolor supplies for beginners
Whether you are a beginner artist or just looking to expand your stash here is a list of favorite Watercolor Supplies! All of these would make gifts for budding artists as well if you are looking for ideas 😉
You will need Watercolor Paints, Watercolor sketchbooks, and other tools to do some fun techniques!
1. Watercolor Paints:
- Kuretake Gansai Tambi Watercolors: My first gift for myself. The color pigment in these is of amazing quality. Pure and rich in color. I love their color palette and that comes with silver, gold and copped colors too. A must buy.
- Artist Lofts Watercolors: These are the only watercolor set that I share with my kids! That should tell you a bit about the quality. The paint feels chalky and leaves a chalky residue on the paper and easily smudges after a few days. BUT the colors of these watercolor cakes are beautiful!! I did a whole 100-day challenge a few years ago with these and LOVE the colors. Great for beginners.
- Sakura Koi Watercolor Fieldset: A set of colors, compact in size, comes with a nice travel water brush and color mixing palette. Not my favorite of colors, they are very basic and rainbowy but great to travel with.
- Dr.Ph Martin’s Bombay ink bottles: My most recent buy. My first liquid watercolors. Working with liquid watercolors is a whole new world and I am enjoying the learning curve.
- Winsor & Newton Cotman Water Colour Paint Sketchers’ Pocket Box (not seen in the picture): The smallest watercolor set I own. I have been well used and loved a lot. It is compact, perfect to take on a plane or a long car ride. The color palette is again mainly the primary colors but the travel paintbrush it comes with is amazing. It breaks apart and fits in the small box and is great to paint with and even brush letter with.
- Winsor & Newton Cotman Watercolor Tubes (not seen in the picture): These are my first tube watercolors, I got them mainly because I wanted to explore this form of watercolors and they weren’t too expensive. I use these in the Airtight watercolor palette that I recently bought.
2. Watercolor Sketchbooks:
3. Watercolor Paint Brushes:
4. Other Watercolor supplies for beginners
- Masking Tape: Tape is used to create fun effects and also to add page borders.
- Masking Fluid: A great way to creative negative spacing in your art.
My Watercolor Wishlist:
Here are a more Watercolor Supplies that would be great to have!
- Arches hot pressed watercolor paper
- Prima Marketing Watercolor Confections: Tropicals
- Winsor & Newton Designers’ Gouache Introductory Set
- Blend Squirrel and Risslon Brush, Round Size 6
- Silver Brush Watercolor Set, 3 Per Pack
watercolor painting supplies for beginners
This list of watercolor painting supplies for beginners is just a place to start your creative journey. As you grow and learn to enjoy the art more you can explore other more expensive options. I do not believe that you need it all at the beginning itself 🙂
Hi I’m Smitha! I live in Minnesota with my husband and two daughters. You’ll always find me painting florals in my sketchbook. And I love the sheer joy of making something with just my hands! But my bigger love is capturing it all on camera Read more.
Thanks for stopping by today! If you learnt something from this tutorial, do share this post with a friend or on social media! Tag me @smithakatti #smithakatti I’d love to see what you create!