A fresh year always makes me go into a decluttering/ organizing frenzy and this year was no different. I started by organizing my art supplies, but quickly got distracted with this idea of making my own DIY Felt Trays or Felt valet tray to keep things corralled.
Affiliate links have been used at no extra cost to the reader. You can read my full disclosure here.
felt valet tray Tutorial video
DIY Felt Trays, no sewing , 5 min craft https://youtu.be/r2EftPUxzF0
SUPPLIES YOU WILL NEED:
Here’s what I pulled out to make these Felt Trays- Felt Sheets- I had a few leftovers from this Merino Wool Blend Felt set that I had bought online. Each Felt sheet came pre-cut to a 6 by 6-inch size. I also grabbed my stapler- a basic stapler nothing fancy.
HOW TO MAKE THESE FELT TRAYS
Easy step by step tutorial showing how to make Felt Trays for organizing your home
Total Time: 5 minutes
1. Line two sheets of felt and fold
Place a sheet of felt on top of another, line the corners, and fold along the center diagonal. You can choose two felt sheets of the same color or contrasting colors.
2. Staple the first corner
Holding the felt sheets firmly aligned with your left hand, a staple at the fold about 1 inch in as seen in the image below
3. Staple the opposite corner
Next, add a staple to the opposite corner. Open the central fold.
4. Staple the last two corners
Once you have the first two corners stapled in place, simply pinch and staple the third and fourth corners into place.
I made a bunch of these in various colors to create a cute set of Nesting Felt Trays here.
You will be able to see the staples on the side when done. If you would prefer a fancier finish you can sew the corners, add buttons or brads instead too!
The next day, I used larger Craft Felt sheets (the basic ones you can buy at the craft store) and made larger Felt trays! These make a great catch-all on the countertops!
The smaller felt valet trays can easily be used to divide and organize drawer insides too.
More Felt Tutorials:
- How To Get Felt To Stick Together!
- How To Make Felt Coasters
- How To Make An Unicorn Book Cover
- DIY Felt Wreath Perfect For Fall
Hop along the links below to enjoy many more craft ideas!
- Easy Fabric Storage Ideas with Dollar Tree Supplies by Laura of Me and My INKlings
- Shimmering Hair Tie Storage Hanger created by Lindsay of Artsy-Fartsy Mama
- Organize your Refrigerator with easy to read labels from Laura of Laura’s Crafty Life
- Upcycled Chapstick Organization is easy and super cute by Shani of Sunshine and Munchkins
- A brilliant storage solution with a DIY Blanket Ladder from Justine of Little Dove
- Stylish Crocheted Storage Baskets with Free Patterns by Erica of 5 Little Monsters
- DIY Pegboard Garage Storage for a Shared Workspace from Kelsey at Poofy Cheeks
More Organizing Crafts
- Tips to Organize Art Supplies
- Top 10 Dollar Tree Craft Items you can’t afford to miss!
- DIY Marker Organizer Using Cardboard
I simply love how quick it was to make not one but a bunch of these Felt Trays! We have black counters in our kitchen and both my husband and I have black phone cases- so my first Valet Felt Tray was used to create a home for the phones on our countertops. So easy to find them now!
What would you use these Felt Trays for in your home?
This is a very versatile craft- you can use fabric scraps with interfacing along with felt to make beautiful designs. You can make them in colors to coordinate with your home, and the best part is, you probably have the supplies for this already in your craft room. Happy crafting!
Thank you for being here today and spending some creative time with my friends! I’m so thankful for your kind words and support.
If you recreate this tutorial and share it on social media don’t forget to tag me! @smithakatti #smithakatti
For yarn projects, find me at @smittenbyyarn #smithaknits #smithacrochets