Make this DIY Holiday Card Display using a canvas and some yarn! I love receiving cards in the mail and my kids love adding them to this display. Such a fun way to display cards from loved ones.
December brings so many Christmas Craft Ideas with it, but these simple DIYs for the home are my favorite. Today’s DIY Holiday Card Display is a simple blank canvas idea and as an artist, I always have a stack of these around! You never know when inspiration might strike.
Affiliate links have been used at no extra cost to the reader. You can read my full disclosure here.
If you do not have a blank canvas you can use a wooden plank that you might already have or even try wrapping the yarn around an open wooden frame instead.
DIY Holiday Card Display Youtube Video
I share a quick Youtube Video walking you through the steps of creating a DIY holiday Card Display using a Blank canvas at home. It is easier than you think, and I hope you enjoy this video.
DIY Holiday Card Display tutorial:
A step by step tutorial showing how to make this DIY Holiday Card Display Tutorial. It takes about 30 minutes to put together, most of it is time waiting for the paint to dry!
- Paint your canvas with a color of your choice (of you can leave it as is for a minimal white look). I gave it 2 coats of chalk board paint and let it dry thoroughly.
- Add a title like “Happy Holidays” or a Card display. You can Hand letter it using it a Chalk Marker. If you are unsure of lettering, just use alphabet stickers instead!
- Wrap yarn around the canvas a couple of times across, tie off tightly. I did not try to and keep my yarn straight, instead simply zig zagged it around the canvas randomly.
- Add mini clothespins onto the yarn and decorate with small ornaments.
NOTE: Once you start adding cards, you might need to move the clothespin around to balance the weight of the cards and adjust as needed.
Try using a larger clothespin if needed, or hot glueing the clothspin onto the yarn for more stability.
I like having the clothespin movable, this way I can fill in the display as the cards come and never have it looking too empty.
This DIY Holiday Card Display is so easily customizable. You can paint the canvas any color of your choice to match your decor. You can also change out the ornaments that decorate it each year to match your holiday color theme as needed. I love that this is a craft that you make once but are able to use over and over year after year.
How do you display holiday cards in your home? I’d love to hear from you in the comments.
More Holiday Craft Ideas:
- Easy Watercolor Holiday Cards with Plaid Pattern
- Free Holiday Coloring sheet to print!
- Easy Holiday Cookies that are a joy to make
- Wrapping a Gift with Fabric
- How to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs
Hi I’m Smitha! I live in Minnesota with my husband and two daughters. You’ll always find me painting florals in my sketchbook. And I love the sheer joy of making something with just my hands! But my bigger love is capturing it all on camera Read more.
Thanks for stopping by today! If you learnt something from this tutorial, do share this post with a friend or on social media! Tag me @smithakatti #smithakatti I’d love to see what you create!