Hello friends! Today let’s learn How to make a Zine from a single sheet of paper! A Zine is like a mini book or booklet that you can make by simply cutting and folding the paper and is super easy!
I have shared so many easy Book Binding techniques on this blog, but today’s How to Make a Zine Tutorial is such a clever take on book making that can be used in many ways. This is a fun crafts for kids, but could also be used in studying.
A Zine can be made in any size, but the most popular way is to make a booklet with a4 paper. You do not staple, paste or sew anything- you simply fold and cut a basic printer paper and voila you have a book!
How to Make a Zine YouTube Video
This is a super simple craft and you can craft along with me in this How to fold a Paper into a Book Youtube Video. We will make a Zine by folding, creasing, and cutting a regular 8.5 by 11 inch letter paper.
Affiliate links have been used at no extra cost to the reader. You can read my full disclosure here.
how to make an 8 page zine tutorial:
A step by step tutorial explaining How to make an 8 page zine!
- Hold a piece of 8.5 by 11 inch printer paper with the
- Fold in half horizontally and create a crease. Use your finger nail or a bone folder to create a nice sharp crease.
- Fold each of edges inwards again to create quarter folds.
- When you open the folds, your page should have 4 equal portions.
- Now turn the paper 90 degrees and fold the paper in half, this time folding it vertically.
- You will now have 8 equal portions visible with the creases.
- Fold the paper in half horizontally again (as in step 2) and using a sharp pair of scissors, cut one quarter over the fold.
- Open the fold to reveal the cut.
- Fold the paper back in half vertically (as in step 5) and insert your finger into the cut out area.
- Gently pull out the paper creases of by the paper cut.
- Fold and press the creases and you will have automatically created the crease of your book/ zine!
- Enjoy filling the pages of your zine with fun photos or art!
The finished book measures by 4.25 by 2.25 inches and is often referred as a Mini Zine. Enjoy filling in your Mini Zine with doodles, ideas or words. The choice is yours! I hope you found this How to make a Zine tutorial useful friends!
Creative Zine Ideas:
Here is a Creative Zine Idea using a thicker watercolor paper!
- Fold the watercolor paper in half lengthwise, and then twice widthwise to mark the zine folding.
- Add Art Journaling details on top- with a few colors and pen lines.
- Now comes the fun (and a bit scary) part! Cut along the center fold. This way we get to fold our paper into a book!
- Fold the paper along the center lengthwise again, and crease it into place as seen. Then press the two outside pages so that cut area forms the inside pages. It’s easier to see this in this video but I tried to explain!
- Open up the paper and add adhesive onto the back. I like to use Tombow Adhesive as it is great to hold watercolor paper in place.
- Add more details onto each page – I added a positive quote, floral doodles, some white paint designs onto each page.
More Book Making Tutorials:
- How To Make a Cover For a Spiral Notebook
- How to Make a Sketchbook out of an old book
- DIY Hot Glue Book Binding with Video Tutorial
- Donut Craft Notebook Party
- How to make an Envelope Album or Book
Conclusion: zine folding
Folding a paper into a book couldn’t be more fun! There is such a aha moment when you figure out the proper zine folding method and make your first book! My kids and I enjoyed learning how to make an 8 page zine equally and I hope you find this tutorial too.
Hi I’m Smitha! I live in Minnesota with my husband and two daughters. You’ll always find me painting florals in my sketchbook. And I love the sheer joy of making something with just my hands! But my bigger love is capturing it all on camera Read more.
Thanks for stopping by today! If you learnt something from this tutorial, do share this post with a friend or on social media! Tag me @smithakatti #smithakatti I’d love to see what you create!